A big thank you to those of you who voted about the name of the CPA Care Plan – you can see the poll and the comments received here.
There were 273 votes counted at the close; this included direct voting online and additional voting from ‘Your Views’ meetings held on wards across Leeds and York and Leeds Service User Network meeting:-
Next steps are to consider what these results mean as there a couple of ways of interpreting them:-
1. First past the post = CPA Care Plan – leave it as it is
2. 62% of people want to change the name (majority); of which 25% prefer the name My Wellbeing & Recovery Plan
The interpretation was discussed at todays Service User Network (SUN) meeting in Leeds; the consensus was that 62% of people wanting to change the name indicated a majority; and that the preferred choice was My wellbeing & Recovery Plan. Click here to read the live blog of todays SUN meeting.
Comments received from people have shown a strength of feeling for both leaving CPA Care Plan as it is and for bringing in a change. In light of this, I asked the CPA Association what other organisations are calling their CPA Care Plans, here are some of the replies I received back :-
- We’re using Care & Support Plan – we kept ‘care plan’ to fit in with wording for external reporting and added ‘support plan’ to signal integration with social care budgets/personalisation. Some service user groups wanted us to call it a recovery plan.
- Well Being Plan – we made the change some 3 years ago, after a consultation with service users and carers. We retained the sub headings of care plan, review etc as there was concern the impact it would have on patient surveys etc if we lost the care plan terminology altogether.
- We just call them Care Plans and Carers have Support Plans.
- We describe the process as the “Recovery Care Programme Approach” (RCPA), and the care plan is the patient’s “Recovery Care Plan“
- We call ours ‘Care Co-ordination Care Plan‘ – and have done for many years as we stopped using CPA when the guidance Effective care co-ordination came out. We are currently reviewing our care plans and are looking at changing to ‘care coordination, recovery and well being plan’. We will be consulting across the Trust on the proposed change.
So, we are not pioneers or innovators in exploring changing the name of the CPA Care Plan and there may be aspects that we can learn from our fellow organisations who have already made the change.
Next steps are for the results and comments to be discussed in the Planning Care Workplan Implementation Group, following which I will update the Planning Care Network, so watch this space
Happy, as ever, to hear your views on this……….
UPDATE – Voting has re-opened – click here!