EQUIP: Enhancing the quality of user involved care planning in mental health services
LYPFT are pleased to be involved in the EQUIP trial, involving service users, carers and clinical teams in research. Here is an outline of the project and what it entails for participants.
- The EQUIP project is funded by the National Institute for Health Research’s Programme Grants for Applied Research Programme.
- A joint project between University of Manchester; Manchester Mental Health and Social Care NHS Trust; University of Nottingham; and Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust.
- 5 year programme
- Aim: to develop, evaluate, implement and disseminate a user/carer led training package for mental health professionals to improve user/carer involvement in care planning
Service user and carer participation:
- Researchers and Trust clinical studies officers assess eligibility of service users for participation in the trial
- Service users are written to, inviting expressions of interest to participate
- Face to face informed consent is sought
- Service user is asked to identify an involved carer, friend, family member
- Care coordinator asked to complete a brief risk assessment
- Baseline questionnaire data is gathered prior to team training
- Questionnaires are repeated 6 months after team training
Clinical team participation:
- There are 3 pairs of community teams identified across Leeds and York
- Teams are randomly assigned to control and experiment groups
- All Mental Health professionals and Allied Health Professional’s will be asked to participate in the training (80%+ participation required)
- The training package – co-produced and co-delivered with users and carers – is delivered over 2 days (October/ November 2015)
- Team clinical supervision is offered post training (6 hours)
- At the end of the trial, training will also be offered to the control groups
There is opportunity for service users, carers and Mental Health professionals to participate in interviews to explore the impact of the training after the event.
If you have any questions or comments, then please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com